15+ Ways To Flavour Your Vienna Vacation
Restaurants in Vienna. Finding the right eateries in Vienna requires skill. There are hundreds of restaurants serving Viennese cuisine. My independent restaurant reviews below came from my frequent visits to my hometown. They also come in digestible amounts, and some variety: from Michelin star restaurants to taverns, snack bars and Vienna sausage stands. I use to visit all these places with my local friends and family. By the way, you can download my recommendations for restaurants, coffeehouses, wineries and cake shops, with ONE click, as part of my Vienna Travel Guide.
1. Restaurants in Vienna: The Top
Planning a gourmet city break in Vienna? Vienna has a rich choice of good eateries. Some of them are perfect for dining before or after a night at the opera or a classical concert. Some are smart casual or simply relaxed. All of them offer lovely food I can honestly recommend. Review my personal shortlist of restaurants in Vienna, from mid range to top notch.
- Michelin Star Restaurants Vienna: The Big Five, among them Michelin Restaurant Steirereck, Michelin Restaurant Silvio Nickol, and Michelin Restaurant Walter Bauer.
- Plachutta: Vienna’s centre of excellence for all things beef; they run fine dining but relaxed restaurants in several locations;
- Gmoakeller: Lovely Viennese Cuisine as it should be;
- Motto: Cult Bar and Restaurant
- Access more of my Vienna Restaurant Favourites here.
Many of these popular Vienna restaurants and taverns have upgraded the quality of food and service over the past ten years as a new generation of chefs and new competitors entered the ground. The rich cream sauces that accompany many meat dishes have shed a few calories. Gulash meat does not need to be chewy any more and cooked vegetables have regained their bite.
Viennese taverns, called Wirtshäuser or Beisln, are popular for everyday lunches and dinners and can be found anywhere in town. Watch out for typical qualities: fresh authentic food, good wine, informal, personal service, cosy.
- Vienna Restaurants’ Best Roast at Zu den Drei Hacken – serving probably the best Vienna roast in town
- Vienna restaurant Silberwirt – a typical and popular Vienna local tavern
- Under Restaurants Wien, find more of my favourite Viennese cuisine eateries;
The US trend of Private Dining has added excellent places to the traditional list of quality restaurants in Vienna. Guests dine or brunch in the private homes of local Viennese. For fellow locals, it’s a great way to have privacy without the mess of cooking at their own places. For visitors, it’s a great way to connect with the locals and explore local living first hand.
- Private dining at the eclectic home of a Viennese art historian and interior designer;
- Vintage dining and Viennese cuisine with Martin, Thomas and Wolfgang at Mezzanin 7
- Feasting on modern suburban charms at Sibylle’s Vienna restaurant Hofzeile
- Discovering Angelika’s Mediterranean refuge at theDiningRoom
Other than restaurants, there is a series of traditional quality sandwich bars and that are a far cry from international fast food, AND from the more mundane sausage stands. I usually go there for lunch if I am busy in town.
Delve into topless sandwiches with creamy spreads, local cheeses on dark sourdough bread, and small warm delicacies.
Find out about the best places to have a bite in snack bars Vienna .
Vienna sausage stands are not restaurants but the most down-to-earth food places you can find in Vienna. They are our response to fast food and hot dog stalls, and a firm part of our culture since the First World War. United they stand at the sausage stand: business people next to road workers, young party folk next to grandpas.
Get a primer on the Vienna sausage and its different varieties, and where to find the best local sausage stands in Vienna.
A note on opening hours of Vienna restaurants: You will find that quite a few restaurants in Vienna close on Sundays or public holidays (even in the city centre), especially during Christmas and on New Year’s day. Do check the opening hours of your chosen restaurants (you will find them in the restaurant reviews via the links in the list of restaurants above) and make a reservation when you dine out in busy places on a week end or public holiday.
I regularly use this online site when booking restaurants in Vienna. It works a bit like a last minute hotel booking site. You can generally book up to four weeks in advance and get a 25-30 per cent discount off your restaurant bill. Find out more about the Vienna restaurants booking tool.
go to Jewish Vienna – Map, Top Sights, Where to Eat, And Walking Tours
go to Halal Holiday Vienna – Guide for Muslim Travellers
go to Vienna Coffeehouses – Favourites in My Hometown
go to Cake Shops Vienna – From Imperial Bakery to Vegan Pastry
go to Vienna Wineries – Guide And Map By Two Natives