Vienna Coffeehouse Conversations
Find out more about the Vienna Coffeehouse Conversations by clicking on each question.
- Why should I join?
- What will happen at the event?
- Which conversation questions are on the menu?
- Who will my conversation partner be?
- I’d like to chat with a local but don’t want to spend time in Vienna without my travel partner. What should I do?
- I would like a conversation with my fellow-traveller and a local couple. Is this possible?
- What if I don’t like my conversation partner?
- Is this about psychotherapy?
- How do I register?
- I don’t have a PayPal account and am having problems paying with my credit card. What shall I do?
- How will I know that my registration has been successful?
- Do these events take place anywhere else?
- Who runs the Vienna Coffeehouse Conversations?
A Vienna Coffeehouse Conversation takes you beyond city sightseeing, extending your trip with a social element and personal insights to take away. Having an interesting talk with someone who knows the city intimately will add to your travel experience.
You arrive at the event and meet a group of Vienna residents and other visitors. After we familiarise you with details of the event, you will be introduced to your conversation partner and take a seat at one of the coffeehouse tables. A ‘menu’ consisting of conversation questions to choose from will break the ice. The questions help share your views on topics such as travelling, friendship, family, compassion, aspiration, inspiration and much more besides.
You are free to stay as long as you like. Many conversations take on such a momentum that they last well beyond the scheduled two hours. Once you finish your conversation, you are free to join us for an after-show get-together with drinks.
Some examples of questions on the conversation menu:
- Which ideas have you encountered while travelling, and brought back to your life at home?
- How important is money to you?
- What are the limits of your compassion?
- What different kinds of love have you known?
You and your conversation partner are free to choose whatever topics you like, and go beyond them.
The organisers match conversation partners randomly at the beginning of the event. You and your partner will have 25 questions to explore, across the three courses and then coffee.
5. I’d like to chat with a local but don’t want to spend time in Vienna without my travel partner. What should I do?
You are welcome to join the Vienna Coffeehouse Conversations with your fellow traveller(s). It is a bit like going to the theatre or cinema: each one of you will have your own experience while attending the same event. Sharing insights later from your encounter with a stranger can enrich your visit to Vienna.
The Vienna Coffeehouse Conversations are personal talks about big topics like money, friendship and respect. Discussing these in private with a ‘no strings attached’ person brings a new level of insight – like opening up to a stranger on a long train journey. We found at previous events that couples took away more from a 1:1 conversation with a stranger.
The Vienna Coffeehouse Conversations attract people who are interested in ideas and stimulating conversation. Experience suggests that topics where your views differ can lead to particularly fruitful exchanges.
Although Vienna is the home of psychoanalysis, the Vienna Coffeehouse Conversations are meant to be fun. We find that participants learn a lot about their own thinking and views, but they are free to chose which questions to answer.
To register for a Vienna Coffeehouse Conversation, simply click on a date on the event page. A registration form for that event will be presented. Then select your menu and follow the easy payment procedure, which has a step-by-step guide.
10. I don’t have a PayPal account and am having problems paying with my credit card. What shall I do?
You do not need to have a PayPal account in order to book tickets. Just use your credit card on PayPal, a secure online payment system. In the PayPal window, choose the link ‘Don’t have a PayPal account?’ at the bottom, if you want to pay with your credit card. If you prefer not to use PayPal, you can make a secure payment via bank transfer. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
First, you will receive an email from the organisers with your booking details and directions to the venue. This is your ticket, so please bring it to the event. A second email, from PayPal, will confirm your payment and participation at the event.
The Vienna Coffeehouse Conversations build on Oxford University professor, and President of the Oxford Muse Foundation, Theodore Zeldin’s tried-and-tested Conversation Meals, which have taken place as part of street festivals, in art galleries from London to Singapore, and at the World Economic Forum in Davos. Our partners space and place successfully introduced the ‘Tischgespräche’ to Vienna, with two events for locals, in April 2012.
Vienna Unwrapped and Viennese cultural group space and place organise and run the Vienna Coffeehouse Conversations.