Get an overview of what to find on my Vienna Austria travel guide Vienna Unwrapped:
Flights To Vienna: Find and book flights to Vienna Austria from London, from the UK, from New York, from Chicago, almost any place in the world; and find out how to get to and from Vienna International Airport.
- Vienna International Airport: Lounges, Airport Hotels, Transfers to City, Taxis And More. Learn about Vienna International airport, how to get to the city centre, book a taxi and duty free shopping.
Trains To Vienna: Review the most popular Europe rail and Austria train routes to Vienna.
Overview of Accommodation in Vienna: If I searched for hotel Austria Vienna, my home town's offer would not disappoint. In fact, for any type of accommodation Vienna serves you well.
- Luxury Hotels: These are the luxury hotels in Vienna I would choose if I was a visitor to my home town: from the Hotel Sacher, the Hotel Imperial Vienna, the Bristol Vienna, and the Grand Hotel Wien to the new Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom.
- Design Hotels: My personal selection of the best design hotels in Vienna, such as Le Meridien Vienna, centers on those which preserve a Viennese touch while excelling in good design and hospitality.
- Four Star Hotels: If I was a tourist in my home town, these four star hotels in Vienna would be my favourites. My cherry picks include the Astoria Hotel Vienna, and find the best rates.
- Three Star Hotels:My personal selection of three star hotels in Vienna. Find your Hotel Austria Vienna among these Golden Middle deals.
- Cheap Hotels: I was strict when selecting the best cheap hotels in Vienna to make your travel budget go further. Review my selection and how to find more good deals.
- Bed and Breakfast: These Vienna Bed and Breakfast places are those kind of small hotels Vienna travellers use to connect with Vienna at a local level.
- Apartments: Spacious holiday apartments with modern or traditional interiors are among the best accommodation Vienna has to offer to travellers.
- Vienna Woods Hotel: For short trips and weekend getaways from Vienna, find your perfect Vienna Woods hotel.
Things To Do
Event Calendar: This Vienna tourism calendar includes my personal favourites of my home town Vienna. Best things to do in Vienna by month, Christmas in Vienna, and secure ticket booking.
- Things to do in Vienna January: My Vienna travel tips for January.
- Things to do in Vienna February: My Vienna travel tips for February.
- Things to do in Vienna March: My Vienna travel tips for March.
- Things to do in Vienna April: My Vienna travel tips for April.
- Things to do in Vienna May: My Vienna travel tips for May.
- Things to do in Vienna June: My Vienna travel tips for June.
- Things to do in Vienna July: My Vienna travel tips for July.
- Things to do in Vienna August: My Vienna travel tips for August.
- Things to do in Vienna September: My Vienna travel tips for September.
- Things to do in Vienna October: My Vienna travel tips for October.
- Things to do in Vienna November: My Vienna travel tips for November.
- Things to do in Vienna December: My Vienna travel tips for December.
Sightseeing: This Vienna tourism calendar includes my personal favourites of my home town Vienna. No tourist-only events. Best things to do in Vienna by month, Christmas in Vienna, and secure ticket booking.
- Schonbrunn Palace: I have known Schonbrunn Palace since my childhood. Here are my tips on how to access this Vienna tourism hotspot.
- Imperial Palace Vienna: The Imperial Palace (Hofburg) has the size of 34 soccer fields (!) Read my guide on how to pick and choose.
- Austrian National Library: Love ancient books, baroque architecture and old World splendour? There is one hall in Vienna you need to see.
- Ringstrasse: With the Ringstrasse Vienna has a state boulevard that girds the city centre like a charm bracelet. Access a Ringstrasse Vienna map including Vienna sightseeing tips of a native Viennese.
- Otto Wagner: My guide to key Art Nouveau architecture by Otto Wagner, one of Europe's best Art nouveau architects and artists, in Vienna.
Attractions: My favourite Vienna attractions? Places that are unique in the world and that mean something to us Viennese: Get inspired for your trip to Vienna!
- Spanish Riding School: The Spanish Riding School still teaches the Baroque art of riding Lipizzaner stallions. Read more about the School, shows and how to get tickets.
- Vienna Boys Choir: The Vienna Boys Choir is probably the world's best choir for boys. Find out their best songs to buy, and their best concerts in their hometown Vienna.
- Lipizzaner Stallions: Lipizzaner stallions are part of the UNESCO immaterial cultural heritage of Austria. Learn more about the Lipizzans, where they come from and where to see them.
- Naschmarkt: The Naschmarkt in Vienna is our historic deli and food market, favourite hangout for Saturday brunchers, and our door to the Balkans.
Museums: Review my list of the best Vienna museums in my home town, from the Albertina and Belvedere Vienna to Kunsthaus Wien.
- Belvedere Vienna: The princely estate of Eugene of Savoy, one of the top commanders of the Austrian Empire, is one of the finest baroque palaces in town and houses the Austrian National Gallery.
- Albertina Vienna: A fine and exquisite Vienna museum with a world renown graphics collection.
- Vienna Museum: The Wien Museum (Vienna Museum) is one of the most underrated top museums of Vienna. Read why you should see it.
- House of Music: The House of Music blends high tech fun with classical music and the life of Austrian composers. Highly recommendable for all who love music.
- Vienna Card: The Vienna Card is a discount all-in-one ticket covering 210 discounts for Vienna museums and more, and the use of public Vienna transport.
Tours: This selection of Vienna Tours covers most Austria Vienna landmarks. Walk, cycle, segway and 'tram' along the Ringstrasse and trace the Habsburgs through old Vienna.
- Walking Tours: Review my selection of the best classical Vienna walking tours, covering major Vienna landmarks such as the Stephansdom and Mozart's house, old Vienna and Hapsburgs buildings.
- Bike Tours: My home town Vienna is very bike friendly. Here is a list of the best Vienna tours by bike, and days out in the Wachau Valley: they combine fun, work out, entertaining kids and siteseeing in Vienna.
- Private Tours: Private Vienna tours with an enthusiastic local showing you around, or with your own chauffeur. My tips on how to enjoy Vienna attractions with more than a map of Vienna.
- Segway Tours: Of all Vienna tours, using a Segway is the most fun when exploring the city. Read my review and see a video here.
- Self Guided Tours: Here are my favourite self guided Vienna tours through my home town, by tram, by bike or on foot.
Walks: These are my favourite Vienna walks through my home town. See Austria Vienna landmarks and go off the beaten track to discover romantic inner courtyards, Otto Wagner Art Nouveau buildings and Vienna art shops.
- Old Vienna Walk: My notes and tour map of an old Vienna walk through the historic centre, a UNESCO world heritage site, wrap up most Vienna attractions. A great start for exploring my Austrian home town.
- Art Nouveau Walk: The Vienna Art Nouveau walk is one of my favourite walks in my home town as it mixes architecture, visual art, food and shopping well. You will see the Vienna Secession (the Golden Cabbage), Otto Wagner buildings, Vienna's historic Naschmarkt and more.
- Courtyards Walk: A courtyards walk through some of Vienna's historic 'Pawlatschen' houses is one of my top Vienna travel tips.
- Art Walk: Take this art walk through Vienna culture and the trendy 7th district, if you have a hang for interior design, art and architecture.
Boat Trips: Plan boat trips out on the Vienna Danube when you travel Vienna: From trips to UNESCO World Heritage site Wachau Valley to high speed boat trips to Bratislava and Budapest.
- By Hydrofoil To Budapest: My father went on this Danube cruise recently. Read the review about his high speed hydrofoil trip from Vienna to Budapest and back.
- By Highspeed Catamaran To Bratislava: My day on a mini danube cruise from Vienna to Bratislava on the fastest passenger boat on the Danube river, the Twin City Liner.
- Wachau Valley Boat Trip: A perfect day out from Vienna is a Wachau boat trip through UNESCO world heritage site Wachau Valley. Review my top tip for a Wachau boat trip between Melk and Krems.
Opera: The Vienna Opera House powers world famous singers, the world’s best opera orchestra and best opera choir. More on the house, famous opera singers such as Renee Fleming, Anna Netrebko and Dmitri Hvorostovsky performing at the opera, and booking tickets.
- Vienna State Opera: My guide on what to see and how to get tickets for the Vienna State Opera.
- Booking Vienna Opera Tickets: See my tips around Vienna Opera tickets booking, and attending a performance such as Die Fledermaus by Johann Strauss at the Vienna State Opera.
- The top 10 Mozart Operas. All you should know: facts, synopses, mozart music videos (arias and overtures). From Idomeneo to the Magic Flute Opera.
- Tour of Opera House: Few people know about the Vienna Opera tour. Read my review here. A great way to learn about Vienna history of music, and go backstage.
Vienna Balls: Vienna Balls are an important means of socialising in my hometown. Learn why travellers to Vienna should have a ball and how to get in.
- Best Balls in Vienna:Screen my personal selection of the best Vienna balls of my hometown Vienna, such as the Opernball and the Russian Ball Vienna; dress codes, ticket prices and how to book.
- Life Ball: Learn all about Vienna's most flamboyant ball, its main events, and how to get tickets.
Shopping In Vienna: Here is my little black book of my favourite Vienna shopping addresses in my home town Vienna, from evening dresses to enamel cookware.
- Fashion: My favourite Vienna shopping addresses for Austrian fashion and design in my home town Vienna.
- Evening Dress Shops: My selection of the best evening dress shops Vienna has includes boutique shops and larger stores. Buy or rent an evening dress for your Vienna balls or evening events.
- Jewelry : Vienna holds a series of Austria jewelry gems such as Swarovski and Frey-Wille. Review my list of favourite jewelry shops in Vienna.
- Home Accessories And Textiles: Combine Vienna culture with Vienna shopping and get inspired by my list of favourites - from porcelain and Wiener Werkstaette to enamel cookware.
- Design And Crafts: My Vienna shopping regularly includes beautiful and original objects from Vienna art and design shops, like Dorotheum Vienna. They express the local zeitgeist like nothing else here.
- Luxury Brands: Vienna shopping for luxury brands has increased enormously in the past few years. Here are the best addresses of international designer brands in Vienna and a map where to find them.
Vienna With Kids: Are you looking for things to do in Vienna with kids? The city has lots of fun and cultural attractions for children, such as the Vienna opera for children, quadrille dancing, the Vienna Prater amusement park, and more.
- Vienna Prater: The Vienna Prater amusement park is our oldest and largest luna park and green leisure zone. Have fun and green space when you visit Vienna with children.
- Opera For Children: The Vienna Opera for Children on the roof of the Vienna Opera House is the ultimate culture treat if you visit Vienna with children.
Vienna Culture: The best cultural events, places and tips for independent travellers. Concerts, opera, balls, theatre, coffeehouses and wineries, and the best Viennese literature to access the 'Viennese soul'.
- Concerts: Learn about authentic Vienna Concerts, and access event bookings for classical and contemporary music performances.
- New Years Eve Concerts: New Years Eve Concerts 2012 in Vienna: My top tips on the best concerts in town and how to get tickets.
- Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra: The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra is one of the most famous orchestras worldwide. Access my tips on securing concert tickets.
- Theatres: Vienna theatres are among the most popular in Europe. Watch Faust by Goethe, works by Friedrich Schiller or attend popular musical shows.
- Vienna Waltz: Learn more about Vienna Waltz, from Johann Strauss and Josef Lanner to the best places to learn, dance or just listen to waltz in Vienna.
- Coffeehouses: There is more to Vienna coffee houses than the coffee. Visit my favourites and soak up local life.
- Best Coffeehouses: Here is my shortlist of the best Vienna coffeehouses to have your Vienna coffee, including pictures, what is special about them and where you can find them.
- The Future Viennese Coffeehouse: The Vienna coffeehouse future is being created by a group of national and international architects in The Great Viennese Cafe Laboratory.
- Wineries: Get insider tips of the best Vienna wineries, the home of Anton Karas famous zither music for the film The Third Man.
Baroque Period in Vienna: The baroque period in Vienna created a joie de vivre that is still alive today. See what Vienna is up to in baroque architecture and baroque gardens, baroque costumes and baroque classical music.
- Baroque Architecture in Vienna: What to watch out for in ten key buildings, from Belvedere Vienna and Kinsky Palace Vienna to the Old Vienna City Hall.
- Baroque Gardens in and around Vienna: Access stories and photos of Augarten Vienna, Schonbrunn Palace, the gardens of Belvedere Vienna, and of Schloss Hof.
- New Years Eve In Vienna: New Years Eve In Vienna: The best things do to in Vienna on the last day of the year.
Day Trips From Vienna
- Wachau Valley: The UNESCO World heritage site is a favourite is among the best destinations for day trips and weekend getaways from Vienna.
- Vienna Woods: The Vienna Woods have been a favourite Hapsburgs (or Habsburgs as we'd spell it) summer location, inspired Johann Strauss to a waltz, and are ideal for a day excursion from Vienna. More from the place where I grew up.
Eat And Drink
Restaurants: Here is my shortlist of the best restaurants in Vienna Austria, my home town. It includes awarded and hot tip michelin star restaurants Vienna is not typically known for, and focuses on Viennese cuisine. Vienna sausage stands included.
- Michelin restaurants in Vienna: An overview over Vienna's rising gourmet scene.
- Steirereck im Stadtpark: The only of two-michelin-star-restaurants in Vienna, restaurant Steirereck in Vienna's Stadtpark is officially 'Austria Food King'. See what my husband and I experienced there.
- Michelin Restaurant Silivio Nickol: Silvio Nickol's Gourmet Restaurant was awarded two Michelin stars in 2012. Here is my review of one of the finest restaurants in Vienna.
- Michelin Restaurant Walter Bauer: The traditional Viennese restaurant has been much hailed by locals, travellers, the media and food guides. Here is my view.
- Plachutta: Visit Vienna beef heaven Plachutta - my favourite Vienna restaurant in the mid range, known by tourists, made for locals.
- Österreicher im MAK : Vienna restaurant review: Chef Helmut Österreicher's modern Viennese cuisine gives traditional Austrian food a makeover at Vienna restaurant Österreicher im MAK.
- Motto: The Vienna restaurant Motto is one of Vienna's cult places. Celebrities like Jude Law have studied the city's local life style here, and tried the famous strawberry nougat dumplings.
- More Of My Favourite Restaurants: Review my Vienna restaurant favourites list, as it is being carefully grown. It includes many essentials for a great citybreak in Vienna.
- Zu den 3 Hacken: Among all the taverns and restaurants Vienna has, the 18th century tavern Zu den Drei Hacken serves the best Sunday Vienna roast. See my review here.
- Silberwirt: Vienna restaurant Silberwirt is a typical neighbourhood eatery in the fifth district, boasting one of Vienna's most beautiful inner courtyards. Join urban professionals, families, students and seniors for Vienna beef and a Kracherl.
- More Viennese Taverns: Vienna's taverns or brasseries serving Viennese cuisine are the best place to try value for money Austrian food in Vienna. Review my favourite quality brasseries of my home town.
- Vienna Pictures: This page can turn into your intuitive Vienna city guide to my home town: It embeds photo galleries of Vienna pictures from landmarks, palaces, opera houses and concert halls, and wineries, along with links to background information and bookings.
- Pictures of Landmarks And Other Beautiful Places: This is my personal collection of the best places in Vienna. Use it as another pick-and-choose city guide: select your favourite photos, and access the corresponding notes and background information.
- Pictures Of Palaces: Among my collection of Vienna pictures palaces rank high. Use my image gallery and links to background information to find out your favourite Viennese palaces.
- Pictures of Opera Houses and Concert Halls: The musical ambiente matters when you attend concerts and operas. In my collection of Vienna pictures concerts, concert halls and opera houses therefore get some extra attention. Review the key concert halls and opera houses in Vienna and see what you think!
Where Is Vienna?: Where is Vienna Austria in Europe exactly, what do its surroundings look like and what are the distances to the nearest major cities. Find out on this page.
History of Vienna: Get to know the top 10 events in Vienna History - from the Romans and Richard Lionheart to the Siege of Vienna and the Congress of Vienna.
- Roman Vienna: Vienna history starts with Roman Vienna. Learn how the Romans founded the military camp Vindobona in the first century AD.
- Richard Lionheart in Vienna: Learn about Richard Lionheart's capture in Vienna. The king of the crusaders was later held in Duernstein in the Wachau Valley. You can still see the ruin of Duernstein castle on a Wachau boat ride.
- Turks Besiege Vienna: Learn about the Siege of Vienna by Turkish Sultan Suleiman I ‘The Magnificent’ and what it meant for Vienna history.
- Second Attack By The Turks: The result of the Battle of Vienna, a milestone in Vienna history, is the reason Vienna doesn't look like Istanbul today while priding itself of its Vienna coffee houses.
- Napoleon In Vienna: An overview of the French Wars, the role Napoleon Bonaparte played with the Habsburg Empire, and of Austrian war heroes such as prince Schwarzenberg.
- The Congress of Vienna: Vienna History: Learn what the Congress of Vienna did to re-distribute Europe’s political powers following the end of the Napoleonic wars and what the Vienna Opernball has got to do with it.
- Prince Metternich and the Revolution of 1848: For Austrian Chancellor Prince Metternich 1848 was his year of political demise. More about the revolution of 1848, another milestone in Vienna history.
- Vienna After World War One:The First Republic of 1919 dealt with the challenges of the late Hapsburg Empire. Read about the hydrocephalus Vienna, our love for civil servants and my grandmother's war songs.
- Vienna After World War Two: My Austrian family's and my view of Vienna at the start of the Second Republic, after World War Two.
- United Nations Headquarters in Vienna: Learn more about the third United Nations Headquarters in Vienna and how to get on a guided tour.
Viennese Art and Design: Vienna art: My shortlist of favourite buildings, paintings including Klimt and Schiele, sculptures, and design pieces of my home town Vienna. Includes addresses of where to see and buy them.
- Baroque Vienna: Nothing has shaped my home town more than the baroque period in Vienna. Learn more about baroque architecture and paintings, baroque music, operas, baroque antiques shops and baroque hotels in Vienna.
- Viennese Literature: My favourite Viennese literature: The best books by Stefan Zweig and more contemporary writers, like Elfriede Jelinek, in English. Absorb them before your trip or make them part of your Vienna shopping.
Map of Vienna: Access a map of Vienna in various shapes here: online for general orientation and for address search, a Streetview Vienna map to put in your pocket, or a city notebook for your travel notes with an integrated map. See my selection of the best Vienna maps here.
Vienna Transport: My guide about transport in Vienna, including everything you need to know about public transport, Vienna's bike rental scheme, and local taxis.
- Vienna Metro: How to make the best use of Vienna's underground, fares and tickets, and the best sightseeing tips along the metro lines.
Car Rental: Car Rental Vienna provides you with all you need to know about renting a car in Vienna, helps you find the best car rental deals and book your rental car.
Weather: How is the Vienna Austria Weather month by month and what to bring for holidays in Vienna? General weather conditions, up to date forecasts and advice on what to bring.
Currency Converter: Use this free currency converter when you travel Vienna and Austria to get clear on prices and your budget for your trip.
Learn German: Learn German, for travel, business and leisure, from my top selection of German language courses in Vienna to interactive training CD-Roms.
- German Courses in Vienna: It wouldn't be me if I didn't advise you to learn German in Vienna, my home town. Universities worldwide, like US Franklin Pierce University, send their students there every year. Review my selection of the best language schools here and intensive German language courses on offer.
- German Language Training Software: When my husband embarked on learning my native German language, he developed a shortlist and quality criteria for choosing the best learn German software available. You can access both here.
- German Language Training Books: I scoured the best learn German books and apps when my husband finally announced he would learn my native language. You can access them here.
- Free Online German Language Training: You can learn German for free in a fun and quite effective way. I am a native German speaker and have reviewed a few online German language training platforms for you to consider.
Europe Travel Resources: Vienna is one of the best places in Europe to travel. Having said that, there are other fabulous places for you to embed your Vienna vacations. Try my recommended Europe travel links for inspiration.
Go from Site map back to Vienna Unwrapped homepage